Coyotos vs. EROS

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Coyotos vs. EROS
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:34:40 -0400

I do not recall if I have described the gap from Coyotos to EROS here. I
have just updated the comparison page at

        http://www.coyotos.org/docs/misc/eros-comparison.html

Surprisingly, the items haven't changed much since I first wrote it. If
you read the list of changes, what you will conclude is that

  a) This is a total kernel rewrite. We can borrow a lot of code and
     ideas from the EROS kernel, but we are touching enough places that
     it really isn't the same kernel.

  b) With the exception of endpoints, none of the changes are
     conceptually very large. We have refined various data structures
     and simplified some of them, but the basic ideas and concepts of
     EROS are pretty clearly preserved in Coyotos.

  c) A few programs will change significantly because endpoints and
     events will have significant impact on these programs.

The really important thing here is that the basic design model and idiom
hasn't changed. This means that the intuition and experience we have
from EROS is very directly applicable in Coyotos.