Re: Device Driver Framework Thesis

From: William Grim
Subject: Re: Device Driver Framework Thesis
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:38:44 -0500

Thanks everyone for some more ideas on where to look for extra information.

Also, yes, based on the emails in the last month, it would seem a bit early to do a device driver framework.  However, whenever I started my thesis, it appeared to me that L4 was probably going to be the kernel that was used.

However, I am going to review Coyotos, EROS, and some other things referenced to me and try to make as forward-thinking design as I can.  I may have to develop on a snapshot (such as the current L4 Hurd) and then modify whenever I near completion to take into account the latest Hurd design.

Again, it's a thesis.  They are based on research, and even if I have to work on a snapshot that doesn't have all the goals we want to reach, it will hopefully be at least a step forward.  With luck and hard work, I can make the design able to accomodate newer microkernels as they are used in the Hurd; I think I can do this.

On 10/28/05, Bas Wijnen <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 01:27:43AM -0500, William Grim wrote:
> This is off topic from most of the discussion that has been occurring on the
> list lately, but in a week or so, I would like to post a link to the draft
> of my master's thesis proposal on the device driver framework if that is
> fine with the list.

Sure.  I'm interested to see it.  I think it's a bit early to think about it
(except if you limit yourself to the current L4 kernel, but that doesn't seem
like a good idea), but that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
Bas