Re: A comment about changing kernels

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: A comment about changing kernels
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:41:08 -0400

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 21:27 +0200, Bernhard Kauer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 08:03:04PM +0100, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> > I don't understand this.  Could you please elaborate what "server
> > protocols will be session based" means?  Perhaps with an illustration
> > of what you envision?
>
> Session based mean, that I open a session to a server, send my return endpoint
> to it, get perhaps another session-capability from the server and use this
> capbility to talk to the server. The server can answer my calls through my
> initially send return endpoint.

Three questions for Bernhard:

1. Who pays for the storage for all of these endpoint capabilities that
   the server must retain?

2. If the client dies, how does the server learn that the session is
   terminated and the server's endpoint capability for that client can
   be dropped?

3. Consider a server that has multiple clients, each with a session.
   One of these clients invokes the server. How does the server know
   which client it is supposed to respond to?