Re: Persistence

From: William Grim
Subject: Re: Persistence
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:20:10 -0600

On 10/30/05, R. Koot <address@hidden> wrote:
Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

When I first read about persistance in EROS I though it was great, but
there is still the problem that after a crash you are transported back
in time. Doesn't this create more troubles than it solves? Especially in
networked environments. I'm think about the case where my 'files' are
stored on another computer, in particular. I also read EROS/KesKOS allow
programs to force a snapshot,

I think you need to think of a modern-day database.  When a database crashes, one possible way for it to recover is with a transaction log that stores all the information from transactions that were taking place.  This way, databases can recover almost right up to the point-in-time the crash occurred.

If the OS did something similar (maybe not logs but something else... I need to read the papers), then you could get something similar to database recovery in the OS.  Technically, I don't think this would be difficult to do.  I haven't thought about all the details, but in my mind you would just have to have some way to store all the process (task) contexts (servers+data/registers) as they run and keep checkpointing them.  Jon Shapiro or anyone else that has read the KeyKOS/EROS papers on single-level-stores can probably answer this question better.

if this happens frequently doesn't this
greatly reduce performance?

I don't know how KeyKOS/EROS handle persistance, but I'm quite curious how they do it without providing lots of overhead due to overloading the bus bandwidth (i.e. IDE, SCSI, etc).  Perhaps on-the-fly compression is used?  If this is the case, perhaps hardware can be created that is meant for this specific kind of OS work that speeds up compress/decompression.  Perhaps optimized device drivers help keep this overhead low since it becomes a first-class function in the OS.  I really don't know.

--
William M. Grim
Master of Computer Science, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville