Re: Changing from L4 to something else...

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Changing from L4 to something else...
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:22:37 -0500

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 23:52 -0600, William Grim wrote:
> 1) How does an administrator help a user fix a misbehaving session
> (i.e. if a malicious program finds some way to take over a user's
> session by doing something like take focus any time the user moves the
> mouse) if they can't interact with the user's session?

I agree with the belief that the user should be able to get help.

Why is this the system administrator's job? Why shouldn't the user be
able to say, on a case by case basis: for this problem I would like help
from Jim or Jane?

> 2) How does the administrator limit hardware resources (i.e. disk
> space or CPU time when many people are actively using the system) so
> that one user does not consume too much of the limited resources?

Through control over resource allocation -- which is accomplished by
setting up the space banks and the scheduling conditions.

It seems to me that we are fighting with a deeper issue here. In order
for freedom to mean something, users *must* be able to establish privacy
from spying. We agree that the user needs to be able to get help. It
does not (and I would say, *must* not) follow that we must introduce
architectural support for spying and privacy violation.