Re: Sysadmins

From: Emmanuel Colbus
Subject: Re: Sysadmins
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:33:32 +0100 (CET)

> [...]
>
> On Thu,  3 Nov 2005 11:50:21 +0100 (CET)
> Emmanuel Colbus <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > Leonardo Lopes Pereira wrote:
> > > After a quick discuss with marco_g on IRC, i started to thing about Why
> > > we need
> > > a sysadmin. And I realize that only small options on the system need the
> > > admin
> > > interference. I saw that many people here are very fanatic about
> > > security, but
> > > what about a system with a admin that put backdoors on programs?
> > >
> > > So, if we will design a system where people can fell secure, we need to
> > > create
> > > a system where the admin has less power as possible.
> > >
> > > In my opinion, the admin is a user that will be able ONLY to configure
> > > some
> > > parts of the system that cannot be configured by a user. All other things
> > > that
> > > the admin needs to do, like run a server, will be done by a common user
> > > with no
> > > more power than other users.
> > >
> > > To install programs we can create a mechanism that every user can install
> > > programs that will be avaliable to every users. but all programs would be
> > > signed on their origin, and if the user trust on that origin, this
> > > program will
> > > be able to work perfectly, if the user doesn't trust on the origin of the
> > > program it will be alerted about that and will choose how this program
> > > will
> > > run. With no access to FS, with a read-only access to FS or if the user
> > > will
> > > start to trust on that origin.
> > >
> > > I know that this is only one case of many thing that a sysadmin does, but
> > > this
> > > was what wake up this discuss in my mind, so, if you have more things
> > > that you
> > > beleave that only sysadmin can does, we can start to discuss, thanks.
> >
> > Yes : see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/l4-hurd/2005-10/msg00827.html
> > and
> > its thread.
> >
> > Btw, allowing (and also forcing) users to install they own software, and
> > also
> > administrate it, would only result into a very great amount of lost time
> > (redundant work from the users), a very bad security (do you really think
> > every
> > user has the competence of a sysadmin?), and a waste of disk space and
> > other
> > ressources.
> I am not talking about an unix system where only the admin can install
> softwares
> on / and the others users intall their softwares on ~. I am talking about a
> system
> where all users have the right to add a new package on something like /stow,
> that
> will be merged to /. So, If I install a package on that /stow, it will appear

The only differences with the standard behaviour of the current UNIX I see are
that
1) it will be far more difficult to manage
2) it will be far more difficult to implement (what if two users install a
software
with the same name?)
3) it opens a very easy way to make a DoS : just install too much software in
/stow.

Unfortunately, I see no advantages.

> > If sysadmins were only unneeded parasites, they would have
> > disappeared for long.
> >
> > Additionnaly, in the real world, the majority of the users wouldn't
> > install their own software copy, they would just trust software from some
> > other
> > person, which is far more dangerous than trusting only one sysadmin (who is
> > identified, available, responsible for what goes wrong, and theoretically
> > also
> > competent in his field).
> They can trust in admin and user only admin's prograns, but they can also
> trust on software installed by others persons.

That's currently also the case.

> > On the other hand, please note that the feature you mentionned is already
> > available on any UNIX system : just install a copy of the software in your
> > homedir, and use it instead of the admin's installed version; and use
> > permission 0755, so that other users may also use it (the only thing you
> > can't do here is removing its right to access the fs).
> It isn't, not in a secure way.

If you want to prevent the software from accessing the fs, you need a system
with capabilities. I think we all agree that this would be a good thing, but
what would be the advantages of your solution versus a capabilities-using
UNIX?

> > Oh, and please explain me how you would do to run 1 copy of sshd per user,
> > for example... all of them sharing port 22 at the same time?! Or only one,
> > which would belong to this "common user"... but how would he have the right
> > to start a shell belonging to another user?
>
> The sshd will be runned by an common user and when you access the sshd it
> will ask what user do you wanna user, the password of that user and work like
> as you access a user by ssh and use the command 'su' to change the user...

Huh?! First, if he has the right to call su, it means that there is a "su" : a
program or a server which has the capability to start a shell belonging to any
user.
I don't think this is currently one of the Hurd's goals.

Second, this beautiful sshd will need some security patches (did you heard of
the recent http://secunia.com/advisories/17151/, for example?). Who will apply
them?
Not the admin : if he has the ability to patch it, he'll be able to add a
backdoor to read all the passwords, or give him a shell, or whatever he wants.
So who?

Emmanuel