Re: Another question about self-paging

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: Another question about self-paging
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 06:09:03 +0100

Hi,

> There is a meta-level problem with self-paging. It is predicated on
> the assumption that one application should be informed about pressures
> resulting from the behavior of other applications.
>
> In general, this is a very bad idea. It's precisely the sort of
> disclosure that we would like to eliminate from the system design.

This is a perfect example how "paranoid security" (sorry for using this
term) prevents the use of desirable features.

Do we want to forsake good resource management in favor of narrowing
(not closing) one particular potential covert channel? As for me, the
answer is no.

(Actually, thinking about it, I'm not even sure the channel is narrowed
at all; probably it just gets harder to extract the data, having no
*explicit* indication of the system load.)

-antrik-