[OT] mothers, free software

From: ness
Subject: [OT] mothers, free software
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:43:28 +0100

Hi,

This day I had a really enervating discussion about free software with my mother. Finally I got her to claim the following statements:

 o  One cannot make money with free software
 o  Free software cannot provide (data) security

She also called called it fraud if a company sells support for a free program.

I didn't really have satisfying arguments, so mabye you can help me. For the first I collected some information about a company that uses free software (pro business group). But she said it might be one company can do this, but this wouldn't mean the concept works. I know the second is simply not true, but I dunno how to explain it in easy words. Maybye an example would be good. I'm not sure whether apache would be sufficient.

Oh, and she doesn't believe you get money for building coyotos, Jonathan. Maybye it would help if there was sth. official that showed your research contracts (especially those you get/got money for and that result/resulted in sth. free). Quotes I found in short time:

Yes, my money actually *is* where my mouth is. But I must say that
money does not taste very good, and I would prefer a normal meal.

As part of a contract for the Air Force, my lab started a GTK port to
EROS. Along with many other research contracts, this contract was
terminated early when the Bush administration decided to go into Iraq,

thanks
--
-ness-