Re: self-paging

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: self-paging
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 21:59:16 +0100

Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 05/12/2005 hora 18:40:
> Anyway, I was talking about any process which I want to do a
> computation which takes so long that I want to do something else while
> it's running.  If I choose to do that something else on the computer,
> and it is even resource-intensive (say I'll go watching Conway's game
> of life on a huge grid), then that doesn't mean I want all the
> resources to go to the foreground application.

In the general case, I think the user expects maximum reactivity from
the foreground application and the window manager (or any interface used
to manipulate the application, so it also applies to the shell, in
fact). So it is a sane default policy to give as much scheduling
resource and in some way memory resource to these two applications.

But it surely would be a killer feature (for me at least) if one could
indicate that an application is having priority even when it goes
background (be it in the shell or the window manager)

> > You always want background programs to run as fast as possible
> > without interfering with your foreground session.
> In some cases it is very acceptable if it does interfere with the
> foreground session.  Obviously this shouldn't happen without the user
> explicitly asking for it.

If we agree on this point, then the feature is really desirable.

Expectingly,
Nowhere man
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A