Re: Perils of Config Files (was DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd)

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Perils of Config Files (was DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:28:47 +0100

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:14:14AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some clarifications:
>
> At Wed, 8 Feb 2006 22:41:59 +0100,
> Bas Wijnen <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I had not considered the option of one facet being opened more than once
> > using different file names.
>
> A directory is a mapping from (arbitrary) strings to objects.  There
> is no restriction on the object mapped.  You can map the same object
> many times in a directory ("hard links").

Yes.

> > I think this should be possible, and it should function as symlinks
> > (perhaps it should somehow also function as symlinks to find, so it
> > traverses only one of them.
>
> A symlink is a different feature, but also possible.

I don't like hard links to directories, but of course that would be the most
logical equivalent of two files binding the same (directory-implementing)
facet.

> > Anyway, find will get in trouble if it follows translators (which are now
> > called "facets", and are limited to types which do something to some
> > related node) anyway.
>
> Translators are not called facets.  They are two quite different
> things.  Translators are simply object servers, preferably ones that
> speak the directory and/or file protocols.

Right, sorry about being unclear.  What I meant was that for this specific
case, a binding of a facet to a filename can very well be implemented as a
translator.  Thus the problems that find has with following translators are
also present when find goes "into" facets.

> > To make things clear:
> > Assuming we want the facets bound to names in the file system, there are two
> > - The names are fixed, and somehow system-defined (for example, the filename
> >   followed by a :, followed by a facet-defined part).  That results in names
> >   like foo.tar.gz:dir/bar.  The binding can in this case be implicit or
> >   explicit (implicit binding meaning that the facet-names always exist and
> >   don't need to be created.  The only way to get rid of them is to remove
> > the
> >   file itself).
> > - The names are user-defined.  In that case binding cannot be implicit, of
> >   course, since the name is unknown until the (explicit) binding is done.
>
> There is a middle ground: The names are user-defined, but the file
> explorer (ie, the user shell) can create new implicit bindings, under
> names well known following a convention, or in its own private name
> space.  This seperates the policy of implicit bindings from the
> underlying system interfaces.

What's the difference with my proposal (explicit binding where the graphical
file browser has a default)?

> > My proposal was targetted at Marcus' comment, which was that explicit
> > binding was impractical, because users of graphical shells don't want to
> > type in the name of the binding, they just want to "right-click->open as
> > dir" (or something) on a tar file.  That can be solved by giving the facet
> > name a default _within that program_.
>
> I am not sure what "within that program" means, because the name may
> have to be exposed.  The example here would be the setup.exe case that
> Jonathan described.

"Within that program" means that this default is not valid anywhere else.  If
I'm in bash, I need to do the explicit binding.  Of course once the binding is
made, it stays there until it is removed.

Thanks,
Bas