Re: SSH revised

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: SSH revised
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:36:35 +0200

At Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:30:46 +0200,
Bas Wijnen <address@hidden> wrote:
> So in my opinion we should allow as much user freedom as we can, but in most
> cases the administrator should be able to limit it.  Note that this is only
> about limiting freedom of users by the owner of the computer.  Limiting
> freedom by anyone else (through DRM) is unacceptable, and we shouldn't try to
> provide means for it.  On the other hand, I don't think it's worth crippling
> the system to make it impossible, but if we can make it possible to support
> DRM without gaining anything else, I think we should not do it.

The only flaw in your logic I can find is that in the DRM world, the
owner of your computer will be Micky Mouse, and then there won't be
any conflict anymore according to your own definition.

One more thing: When I said exploring, I really meant exploring, not
making decisions.  Too early for that.  Beside, it's your fault in the
first place that the user's freedom to do authentication came up ;)