Re: Writing down design documents

From: Justin Emmanuel
Subject: Re: Writing down design documents
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:38:30 +0100

Agreed,

I mentioned something like this some time back. I asked also if there
was some sort of graphical way that these ideas can be represented. I
got no answer at the time although I think that it would add immensely
to the clarity and help people come into the project and get plugged
in quickly. Since then, I have stumbled upon one possible graphical
tool that I have found personally very useful - Freemind from
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
You might want to try it out. Use of this plus any standard
documentation methods.

For me, I find that since the thought process itself is not linear.
The most natural way to lay down ideas fast then work out how they
link together is not going to be something that starts from left to
right then top to bottom. But is based on ideas linked by their
relationship to one another. I don't know how many times you guys have
had to explain capabilities.. Then people get directed to some
documentation over the net, they come back, then still need
clarification!! A good graphical tool can show neatly how all these
things fit together. It would also help with traditional documentation
as it will be clear what needs to be written up. Just make sure that
every node is explained.
Using a tool such as Freemind (Or any other that would do the job)
Will also allow for additions and tweaks to be easily added and
relationships to be altered.

I cant agree more with what Pierre has stated. I would like to know
what the maintainers think. There probably is loads that has already
been decided. But without the documentation, people sometimes think
that nothing exists.
As we know ideas are subject to change (especially here:) A graphical
tool can help organise that process and show that the whole script is
not being changed just one part.

These are my thoughts.