Re: Reliability of RPC services

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Reliability of RPC services
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:30:48 +0200

Scribit Christopher Nelson dies 26/04/2006 hora 08:16:
> > Devices connected to [PS]ATA, USB, FireWire, SCSI, parallel, etc.
> > ports do not need trusted drivers.
> HUH?  So you have some random individual who want's to stick their own
> DISK DRIVER into the system, and you think that it doesn't need to be
> trusted?

You miss the point: of course the driver for the disk used by a trusted
server must be trusted. But the driver used to read my own USB key that
is plugged to the USB bus of my terminal does not need to be trusted by
everyone.

Noone was considering to use anyone's driver for the disk holding /usr
or /home, AFAICT.

But when I do experiments with an electronic device I'm designing, I
shoudln't need to be the administrator and reboot the whole system with
a new kernel or a new kernel module just to deal with what I plugged in
an hotplug BUS. Neither should I, in Hurd, have to install in a
priviledged place the appropriate driver.

Specifically,
Nowhere man
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A