Re: the deadly hypercube of death, or: handling permissions

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: the deadly hypercube of death, or: handling permissions
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:37:55 +0200

Scribit Jonathan S. Shapiro dies 27/04/2006 hora 09:08:
> If the object you are referring to is implemented by a process, then
> PLEASE do not call it a "wrapper".

OK. Indeed, I was thinking of a process doing the work of aggregation.

> > I'm not sure. How many times in a classical software are you needing
> > two or more access modes to something?
> Almost universally. In practice, write almost always implies read. The
> bits may be separate, but the usage pattern is that 'w' implies 'r'.

Could you point examples?

When permissions are typically linked or dependent, they could be given
as a global capability, but that only moves complexity : you need to add
it a method to make a capability with fewer permissions from it.

It's not obvious to me which solution is the best.

To have a broader view of the problem, could we try to find all
scenarios that involve permissions? For the moment, we only have file
access.

In the file access case, we have read, write and execute permission. Are
there others?

Doubtfully,
Nowhere man
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A