Re: Directories traversal (was Re: the deadly hypercube of death, or: ha

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Directories traversal (was Re: the deadly hypercube of death, or: handling permissions)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:12:55 +0200

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 01:17:08AM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> I can't really link this to a POSIX-like system, which I suspect we will
> support in the Hurd. Where will these user mutable filesystem reside?
>
> IIUC, each entry of /home would be a proxy, is that right?
>
> Do we use the same scheme for /etc and /var, where application specific
> and sensitive data can exist?

It's the other way.  /etc and /var don't exist, but we generate them for POSIX
applications (so they see them).  Different POSIX applications may very well
see different contents of the same directory though.  Only for POSIX programs
which spawned each other must the tree be consistent.

As I see it now, when starting a POSIX firefox, it will see a mostly empty
filesystem with just some of its own files (config files, cache, cookies).
When starting a POSIX xpdf, it will not see any of these files, but only
the files that it needs itself.  However, if the POSIX firefox downloads a pdf
and opens it using xpdf, this xpdf will see all the firefox files.

Thanks,
Bas