Re: Design principles and ethics

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Design principles and ethics
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:08:01 +0200

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 07:57:00PM +0200, Tom Bachmann wrote:
> > I wasn't replying to "what about /bin/passwd?", but to "what about setuid
> > programs?", which seemed to be what he meant.
>
> OK. Are there any setuid binaries we want? To my view, setuid is just a
> unix invention to circumvent the very coarse grained access control.

It is, but our version wouldn't give a whole uid (really a session, as your
shell has), but only specific capabilities.  The idea is the same though: the
user may be permitted to use certain capabilities only through trusted
programs.  Device drivers are an example.  They advertise themselves to the
user by delivering a capability in the terminal that the user logs on to.
This isn't a capability to the actual hardware, but only to some program which
controls that capability for you (in a restricted way).

It is likely that all setuid programs will really end up to be continuously
running servers that you can call.  That's one of the good things of a
persistent system.  It wouldn't really be doable to set all that up at boot
time on a non-persistent system, and it would cost too much resources.  None
of these is a problem with persistence (and processes which get completely
paged out).

Thanks,
Bas