Re: bit-split, or: the schizophrenia of trusted computing

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: bit-split, or: the schizophrenia of trusted computing
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 00:28:01 -0400

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 06:12 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> At Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:47:22 -0400,
> "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Your ability to destroy the storage that I borrow from you does not
> > create a moral hazard. I may lose my bits, but I knew that when I
> > decided to use your storage.
>
> If it creates a moral or otherwise hazard depends on the use case.

Then please give *one* use case as an example. I haven't seen any, and I
am trying to understand it. Insulting me is not an acceptable substitute
for actually answering the questions.

> > That is all very nice, but I notice you did not address my point at all:
> > the party making the loan (and I agree that it isn't quite a loan,
> > because it can be instantly reclaimed) requires the right to reclaim,
> > but not the right to read.
>
> I explained to you why I do not think that this is necessarily the
> case.

Actually, I do not recall that you *did* explain this. You *asserted*
it. Strongly. You have not yet given a use case supporting any story
that this is required.

And
no, you really *didn't* answer the painting question.