Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Challenge: Find potential use cases for non-trivial confinement
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 13:40:14 +0200

Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 03/05/2006 hora 13:19:
> You probably misunderstood me.  I think that a shared high score file
> is useful even if cheating is allowed.
>
> Think about the shared high score file as a billboard, where people
> can talk about their experiences with the game.

It's not competition anymore. Though your description *is* a great idea.
But sometimes people like to be in competition, and have some concerns
about the competition remaining fair.

> In fact, I think it would be nice if the high score entries would also
> provide a log of the game (so one can watch how the others played, or
> cheated)

If your read my score daemon proposal, you'll see this is exactly that.
It could refuse a record entry if it is not given the game description,
and the description is valid and matches the score.

But that is only possible when cheating cannot be hidden. When score
depends on time, cheating is the easiest thing in the world. Just
pretend you played faster than Flash.

For games like Same, Klickety or Shisen Sho, this is possible. Not for
tetris.

Specificly,
Nowhere man
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A