RE: Design principles and ethics

From: Christopher Nelson
Subject: RE: Design principles and ethics
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 12:16:09 -0600

> then I can
> > >
> > > But you do.  We have a protected capability system.  It's
> your data,
> > > and you're the only one who has access to it.
> > > This data cannot have been "stolen"
> > > without you (probably by accident) giving away this
> capability (or
> > > copying the data to where someone else can read it).
> >
> > No, you DON'T.  This is my point: because your parent has
> all rights
> > to you, you can make no guarantees about your parent, or
> your parent's
> > parent.  Which means that you do *not* have any idea about
> who is in
> > the communication chain.
>
> Ah, you're confusing yourself with a process.  The user
> session is a direct child of the primary space bank.  The
> system design guarantees that
> - The primary space bank will not disclose its contents
> - The session itself (which is also part of the TCB) will not
> give out any
>   capabilities to its space bank (but only to newly created
> subspacebanks).
> The user's shell is a direct child of the session.  No
> process is going to spy on that shell.  The user interacts
> with the system through this shell.  There is no danger of spying.

So the basic security argument that is being made is that:

A) There is a set of programs (services) that are under no one's
authority, these constitute the TCB.

B) There is a primordial arena that is opaque to everyone, from whence a
user session is generated.

C) The user has complete control of their own session, which means the
implicit ability to examine and/or change all code and data to which the
session has access.

Is this correct?

-={C}=-