Re: Design principles and ethics

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Design principles and ethics
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 22:33:37 +0200

Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 03/05/2006 hora 22:08:
> > An author could only hope being paid when ordered a work. The only
> > real way to earn a living as an author was to be under the
> > protection of a patron.
> Ok, but now we have contracts and laws governing them. :-)  If we sign
> a contract that you write something for me and in return I give you
> money, then you have very effective ways to make sure I do indeed pay
> that money once you've written it.

Be it with contracts or a patron of the arts, there's no difference.
Without copyright, you're paid once, and then you have no rights on the
diffusion of your work.

I agree that ideas should always be free. Indeed, society globally
agrees with that, and patents and copyrights are exceptions. This is chy
they have a duration. Thoses exceptions could not last forever.

I think this is a very good compromise, as far as copyright is
concerned. I'm less sure about patents.

Exceptionnaly,
Nowhere man
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A