Re: Part 2: System Structure

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Part 2: System Structure
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:40:41 -0400

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 18:55 +0200, Tom Bachmann wrote:

> Bas Wijnen wrote:
> >> I think Marcus has stated that he has an alternative way to do this. I
> >> do not understand how his method works.
> >
> > It is based on a check for a server to see if a capability is for an object
> > it
> > implements itself.
>
> This should be trivially to do with the discrim cap.

Not necessarily, because discrim implements something comparable to EQ?.
Two entry capabilities with different protected payloads do not (and
must not) discrim as equal. Further, there must NOT be any discim
operation that answers the question "do these caps name the same
server?" That would destroy virtualizability.

> Still, I do not understand why you think of servers implementing
> objects. Shouldn't be every object a separate process?

Often, but not always.