RE: Restricted storage

From: Christopher Nelson
Subject: RE: Restricted storage
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:41:30 -0600

> Two observations: It's totally ubiquitous, all over the
> place, somebody who does not trust anybody at all would be
> pathologic and has no chance to survive in a society with
> other human beings.

This is a generalization that becomes ridiculous when applied to
computers.  On a social basis you trust only that a person won't hurt
you in a any way that causes more damage to THEM than THEY consider
worth what they may get back from hurting you.

For example, it is becoming fairly common for two individuals to
conspire to cause an auto accident with a 3rd, innocent party.  The two
individuals split the earnings from the insurance claim.  Another
example, if you are a very wealthy individual, other individuals have
more interest in damaging you, either via threats or theft, because the
potential returns for them are higher.

The lock on my front door only keeps out honest people, not a determined
thief.

-={C}=-