Re: Collaboration question & challenge use case

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Collaboration question & challenge use case
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:55:58 -0400

Christian:

I want to respond here, but I think that some of the discussion that
will follow should properly happen on the coyotos-dev list at
coyotos.org.

While some technology may be used by both, there is a very large
ideological and social gap between the goals of the Hurd project and the
goals of the Coyotos project. The Hurd project (and more generally, the
FSF) are strongly opposed to TC and DRM technologies. The Coyotos
project views both as necessary elements for many things that we want to
accomplish (including some social objectives). It is not just that we
aren't opposed. The EROS Group, LLC has recently delivered a design to a
client for an embedded TCPM-like implementation that is significantly
stronger than the PC version. We were very careful to retain the rights
to that.

If these things are central to what you want to do, then you may want to
take up a collaboration discussion on the coyotos-dev list as well. I
suspect that a discussion of applications relying on TC and DRM is going
to meet a lot of opposition from the Hurd project members, but that is
something that the Hurd community should decide for themselves.