Re: Potential use case for opaque space bank: domain factored network st

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Potential use case for opaque space bank: domain factored network stack
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 03:21:33 +0100

Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 08/01/2007 hora 02:24:
> I note that the EROS space bank is hierarchical as well, and it does
> not inhibit POLA either.

Because of the use of the constructor, I thought EROS space bank was
clearly not hierarchical.

> I also want to point out that today most systems deployed do not
> implement POLA, and thus the harm, if it exists at all, is at most
> opportunistic.

That depends on the point of view. If we plan to do as bad as others do,
yes, the harm is only potential. But if we have as a goal to build a
secure system and end up with a system not significantly better than the
existing ones, this would be a failure.

I also had understood that POLA was clearly a goal of the next Hurd.

> However, please note that virtually all systems widely deployed today
> do have "transparent memory", do you know any exceptions?

I may use one everyday: Linux. It seems I can't debug a program that I
have the right to execute but not to read. I'm pretty sure that a setuid
program I can execute is totally impossible to debug or monitor.

Curiously,
Pierre
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A