APIs and compatibility

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: APIs and compatibility
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 14:02:40 -0400

It seems to me that much of the discussion in l4-hurd over the last
years has focused on system-level architecture. A key issue has been
extensibility, but very little discussion has been spent on things at
the driver layer.

It strikes me that rebuilding a very large number of drivers as a
precondition to success is probably not a good recipe.

Is there any reason why the linux driver framework cannot be adopted
directly by l4-ng?  I do understand that user-supplied drivers are
desirable, and I think that remains possible in all of the practical
use-cases that have come up here.