Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: William Leslie
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 15:59:03 +1000

2009/9/16 Damien Thébault <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 18:00, William Leslie
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM, arnuld uttre <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, It was sometime ago when Jonathan Shapiro started working on
>>> Coyotos and there was some discussion on mailing lists that Coyotos
>>> may be the next generation microkernel for Hurd.
>>
>> Even for some time before Coyotos was no longer actively developed,
>> it was effectively abandoned by the primary architects of the hurd, due
>> to its support of the so-called non-trivial confinement.
>
> Yeah, it seems to always end up this way, hurd architects think that
> one important
> feature is missing or is done wrong, and then wait for another set of years.

It wasn't deemed a showstopper lightly, there was a lengthy, heated
discussion, and the people who actually *do the work* decided that if
fulfilling the goals of a truly free system as they perceived it
required tailoring a kernel to their needs, that was what they would
do. And that is what they did, three ng-hurd developers wrote kernels,
one of which looks to me like it will be the basis for the ng-hurd.

As Bas pointed out, there was no waiting. There are a handful of
people that have worked tirelessly on the Hurd, some for more than a
decade. But if more that wrote opinion pieces wrote code instead, it
may move ahead much faster.

> That's how I'd do things. Yes, I know, this is just like software engineering,
> but usually it works in the end.
> Sadly I don't have time to do this kind of things (right now, maybe someday).

I think that's more or less what has been happening since this list
was started, unless I'm missing something. Hope you get the
opportunity soon :)

William Leslie