Re: My broken dream.

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: My broken dream.
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 13:14:35 +0200

Am Freitag, 18. September 2009 10:28:46 schrieb Luis Araujo:
> Ok, that is the mystery unveiled .... now, my suggestion is that, if you
> really want to see the Hurd going somewhere, jump into the code (nobody
> is stopping you) and take it somewhere , to the point, where it actually
> looks like a viable and functional project .... otherwise, just starting
> a thread complaining about the current state of it, see, that already
> has been done before (plenty of time), and it has not produced any kind
> of benefit ... it is actually quite boring by now :)

And if you want to jump in, maybe an analysis I did a while back can help you:

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/community/weblogs/ArneBab/niches_for_the_hurd.html

It lacks the basic result, though: What can people do to help. So here's a
simple update:

* The basic part is porting debian packages:
-> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/debian/porting.html

* If you like setting up systems, you can try to build a Hurd on different
types of hardware. And then ideally write a guide so others can do the same.
-> http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install

* Then there's "get X to run efficiently"

... but what do I repeat the here? It's all on the front page, our idea page
for the Summer of Code and the list of open issues :)
-> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/#index2h2
-> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/community/gsoc/project_ideas.html
-> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/open_issues.html

Best wishes,