Re: Hurd translators on FUSE

From: Sergiu Ivanov
Subject: Re: Hurd translators on FUSE
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:23:57 +0300

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 02:08:24PM +1000, William Leslie wrote:
> 2009/9/25 Sergiu Ivanov <address@hidden>:
> > I wonder whether it is reasonable to try FUSE to implement
> > translators.  I've never been much into FUSE, but the Wikipedia
> > article says that ``FUSE is particularly useful for writing virtual
> > file systems'', which, AIUI, is precisely the matter of interest for
> > most translators.  (At least FUSE filesystems like GmailFS,
> > WikipediaFS, archivemount sound a lot like actual translator names.)
>
> Afraid not. Hurd translators are far more general. With FUSE you
> provide file or directory like APIs, with HurdIO you can provide any
> API. The more common subset of hurdio (the file and directory APIs)
> might be portable to fuse, however.

I must confess that I don't have the knowledge to understand what
specifically you are referring to by the term ``HurdIO'', but it did
occur to me that Hurd translators are more general (that's why I wrote
``*most* translators'' :-) ).  However, I'm actually thinking of
something like a ``prototype version'' whose main purpose would be
introducing the concept of translators to a wider public and
cultivating interest in the environment where the concept originated
from -- the Hurd :-)

BTW, if the existing FUSE filesystem are much similar to translators,
this ``prototype version'' already exists.  And I think I can remember
somebody from the Hurd community having tried to show the advantage of
the Hurd way and ran into an attitude like: ``Why do we need a Hurd,
if we already have FUSE?'' :-(

Regards,
scolobb