Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: 29 Sep 2009 16:40:08 +0200

William Leslie wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM, arnuld uttre <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Well, It was sometime ago when Jonathan Shapiro started working on
>> Coyotos and there was some discussion on mailing lists that Coyotos
>> may be the next generation microkernel for Hurd.
>
> Even for some time before Coyotos was no longer actively developed,
> it was effectively abandoned by the primary architects of the hurd, due
> to its support of the so-called non-trivial confinement.

This is not true, at least for me.  Confinement was a big discussion (for
political reasons), but it didn't affect my kernel choices (or lack thereof)
at all.  It did influence my ideas for overall system design.

> I think there are a lot of people still interested in a Coyotos
> future, but there is
> no direction to follow, and nobody writing code that I am aware of. As with
> any free software, people will go where the activity is. If someone
> started doing
> something with Coyotos, well, maybe.

If you are interested in proven security, the seL4 people just announced
successful verification of their kernel (see any recent item on www.l4hq.org).