Re: sustainable development

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: sustainable development
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 23:38:45 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 02:05:19PM -0500, steve paesani wrote:

> > ... Developers charge for the actual work being done -- and once
> > payed,
> the
> > availability of the results doesn't need to be restricted
>
> I agree.

No you don't. You are proposing some kind of license model that *does*
restrict the availability of the results. Or at least you did originally
-- don't know what your current idea is.

> True, free software is, by fact, a myth.

What the FUCK are you talking about?

I guess you still don't even know what "free software" means. Must have
been illusory of me, expecting you to follow my advice; to actually take
a look at gnu.org, and *try* to understand what it is all about. Say
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html for
example.

> Lest developers have starved to death after 7 or so days of
> programming GPL licensed code they were sustained, somehow, by others
> which invariably equates to getting paid.

See, you agree that there is no problem :-P

> The organised and suastained suport however form much of the software
> written in this manner can be said by some if not may to be lacking.

Oh? I don't think RedHat customers are complaining about lack of
sustained support.

> I am for an open development compensation licence. It is
> straightforward, honest, and alleviates the what I and perhaps others
> might say is overcharging for running a 'market copy and print' shop,
> aka royalties, after development, maintenance and enhancement costs
> are covered.

I don't see how this differs from free software published under the GPL.

-antrik-