Re: [ANNOUNCE] NOVA Microhypervisor 0.2 prerelease

From: Julian Stecklina
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] NOVA Microhypervisor 0.2 prerelease
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 20:21:06 +0200

"Udo A. Steinberg" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The NOVA project is happy to announce that there is a new prerelease of the
> NOVA microhypervisor available for download at http://www.hypervisor.org/
> or http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~us15/nova/ under the terms of the
> GNU General Public License version 2.
>
> NOVA is based on a modern microhypervisor written in C++ and assembler.
> The current implementation supports x86-32 SMP platforms with hardware
> virtualization features such as Intel VT-x/VT-d or AMD-V, and facilitates
> running multiple unmodified guest operating systems in virtual machines
> with near-native performance. On machines without VT-x or AMD-V, the
> functionality is reduced to that of a microkernel.

Of course, a microhypervisor is nothing without its userland. The NOVA
project is happy to announce that there is also a new prerelease of the
NOVA userland (NUL). NUL is available under the terms of the GPLv2.

Prominent new features of the root partition manager are:

 - support for one-shot timers (HPET)
 - MSI and MSI-X support
 - direct assignment of PCI devices to VMs
 - IRQ routing discovery
 - SMP support
 - Intel 82576 network card driver
 - SR-IOV
 - VESA VBE 2.0 support

New features of the VMM include:

 - APIC, IO-APIC, and MSI/MSI-X support
 - experimental SMP VM support
 - Intel 82576VF network card model
 - RTL8029 network card model

Additional information is available in the source tarball and at
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~kauer/nova/

For the impatient:
Source : http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~jsteckli/nova/nova-userland-0.2.tar.bz2
DemoCD : http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~jsteckli/nova/NOVA-0.2.iso.bz2

Regards, Julian
--
"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
C++ in mind." - Alan Kay