Re: Reviewing Hurd-on-L4 (and considering its future?)

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: Reviewing Hurd-on-L4 (and considering its future?)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 14:24:01 +0800

William ML Leslie writes:

> I wasn't talking about things that are now features of GNU/Linux,
> rather things anyone should probably consider doing differently in
> hurd-ng; like safe languages for essential features and better support
> for asynchronity.

Speaking safe languages, are you proposing another language like Rust to
replace C? I think it's interesting to write another Hurdish kernel with
Rust, but I still don't know if it could be accepted as a side-project of Hurd.
Anyway, it's using name mangling like C++ which is bad for FFI (foreign
function interface) to bind dynamic languages. I ever thought to write a
thing like cl-Hurd with Guile.
To bind FFI with C++ code requires many labor work for C wrapping, which
is recent work I organize my team to do for preparing the next stage
product framework. I have to say, it's a so boring work, I wish I never
use C++ for code base, C is most lovely language for such a purpose, but we
have to.

--
GNU Powered it
GPL Protected it