ladcca-devel

Re: [ladcca] Problems with LASH

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [ladcca] Problems with LASH
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:05:35 +0100

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 13:10 +1000, Dave Robillard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Seems there hasn't been a post to this list in almost a year.  Hope
> someone is still listening.  Anyway..

Still listening, just tied up.  As noted, I've been very quiet for the
past year.  I wish I could say I've been quietly working on LASH, but in
fact I've been just about treading water with my first job.  It's a hard
life, etc.  Regardless, I've recently been trying to bring linux audio
back into my sights, and succeeding to a small degree.  However, I've
more recently made the decision to return to university, and that goal
conflicts with working as energetically on LASH as is necessary for it
to move in more useful directions.

I've already passed the baton on with JACK Rack; Leslie Patrick Polzer
is now the official maintainer; I'm sure there will be announcements and
new URLs and whatnot once a release is made.

As for LASH, nobody has asked to take over maintainership of it.  It
would be a shame in my, perhaps ever-so-slightly biased opinion to let
it rot, so I ask if anybody would care to take the reins?

I'll still be around, and I'm still a linux audio user, so I certainly
have a vested interest in helping where I can, it's just the amount I
can help is a lot less than LASH needs :(

> I'm trying to implement Lash support in an app of mine, but I'm having a
> problem with restoring.  Lash launches my app alright, but sometimes I
> get this message from ladccad:
>
> conn_mgr_send_server_event_to_client: could not send event to unknown
> connection id 10
>
> And my app doesn't receive any of it's events.  Sometimes this happens,
> and sometimes everything works fine - completely random.  It seems like
> maybe a timing issue, but surely Lash must wait for the client to call
> cca_init before attempting to send it events?
>
> The very next line from ladccad is:
>
> ladcca.c:186:cca_init: connected to server
>
> So I thought maybe I needed to call cca_init sooner in my app (which
> would be a braindead thing to have to do..) but that didn't work either.

This is very strange; the client doesn't exist from the server's
perspective until it calls cca_init, except in a ghosted state, and I
don't think it's even possible for it to send events to those clients.
The fact that it thinks there's a connection with an ID of 10 makes me
think that wires are getting crossed with a different client.  I would
offer to take a look at it, but I don't have a LASH development
environment set up at the moment.

Bob

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>