libann-dev

[Libann-dev] Re: ANN++

From: Dan Pemstein
Subject: [Libann-dev] Re: ANN++
Date: 23 Aug 2002 01:55:48 -0500

John,

This sounds like it is probably a good idea.  I wanted to completely
rewrite ANN++ to interoperate with the STL before releasing it anyway. I
have attached a copy of the source and a rough class diagram for ANN++.
You'll see that we have very different designs.  I'm going to be busy
for at least the next few weeks attempting to find myself a real job so
maybe you could take a look at ANN++ in that time and propose a design
that merges some of the philosophies of both libraries.

I'm pretty wedded to the idea of a library that uses OO to mirror the
way we think about neural nets as humans.  Also I'd like to create
something very general with as much of the API as possible pushed into
"abstract" or interface-defining base classes.  At the same time you'll
see that ANN++ suffers from some decent bloat and I'd like to streamline
the underlying code while maintaining the intuitive API.  Your code uses
a more to-the-point approach which probably helps a lot in speed but it
lacks some of the generality I'm looking for.  On the other hand, it
uses the STL quite nicely, from what I've seen in my quick look.
Anyway, tell me what you think.  I'll be happy to chat about ideas and I
should be able to do some actual work by Fall or at least Winter.

The source comes with a makefile and driver (ann++.cc).  The driver code
is 99% bs and 1% about ann++ (it spends most of its time creating graphs
with gnuplot) but it will give you some idea of how it works.

In the class diagram the black portions are the core library and the red
ones are the backprop extensions.

cheers,

Dan

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 00:37, John Darrington wrote:
> I have a Savannah project which seems to be very similar to
> ANN++.   Mine is called Libann
> http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/libann
>
> Rather than having two such projects running in parallel
> (and possibly redundantly) it might be better if we teamed
> up and made them into one project which we can work on
> together.
>
> I realise that you've probably put a lot of work, and
> consideration into your project already, and possibly
> worried about outside `contamination'.  Perhaps you could
> have a look at Libann and let me know what you think.
>
> Regards
>
> John
| Daniel Pemstein                                                    |
| Email: address@hidden, address@hidden               |
| Web: http://www.danpemstein.com                                    |
| PGP: http://www.danpemstein.com/files/pgp.txt                      |