Re: [Libcdio-devel] read.h needs unistd.h

From: Steven M. Schultz
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] read.h needs unistd.h
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:35:15 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, R. Bernstein wrote:

> I think there's a confusion here. libcdio's driver implementation does
> the seeking, (actually it's fseek not lseek) and that takes care to

        Hmmm, I hope it's not fseek when dealing with DVDs.  fseek() is
        limited to 'long' for the offset and that could have problems
        with DVDs  (definitely so with double layer DVD media which can be
        ~7.95GB).

> I didn't suggest addressing this outside of libcdio because I suppose
> this is a libcdio misfeature: if a libcdio header uses off_t, it has a

        read.h does use off_t without <sys/types.h> necessarily in scope.

        libcdio itself builds ok because some other header is pulling in
        the necessary definitions.  And outside project using libcdio
        (such as MPlayer) encountered the error I mentioned earlier.

> responsibility for making sure that's okay. But not for precognition
> of what an application might be doing and including other headers on
> its behalf.

        The thought was just that off_t and seeking do tend to be used
        together  - that's my guess why adding <unistd.h> "solved" the
        problem.

        Cheers,
        Steven