Re: [Libcdio-devel] DVD problems. (Corrected first part)

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] DVD problems. (Corrected first part)
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 23:58:05 -0500

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Thomas Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i see i sent my last mail with the first part
> still under construction.
> It should rather have been:

> All normal media recognition needs a kind of
> pre-test for Current Profile.
> CD profiles should then make use of traditional
> recognition. Same if profile inquiry fails.

My current thinking right now is to create a MMC object for all of the
cached information
like last request sense data, GET CONFIGURATION, READ DISC INFORMATION and
other "fat" pieces of data.  Possibly each piece of data would be malloc'd
as needed.

This then would go into the CdIo object and the sense data removed from
there since it would now be part of the MMC object.

Other applications that might want to use this MMC information but don't
want to have Cdio objects could do so.

> One will have to assess what of the old OS
> specific DVD handling is of use. Normally our MMC
> knowledge is more modern than what we can expect
> in installed OS kernels.
>
> Give me a stub where to examine "DVD-ROM" and
> "BD-ROM". Map all other valid non-CD profiles
> to the appropriate CDIO_DISC_MODE_*.
> Invent new ones which for BD profiles.
> (See doc/glossary for profile list.)

So if I have the above correct, I think this has to wait until we have a way
to get and cache current profile information. Right?