liberty-eiffel

Re: [Liberty-eiffel] My Gsoc suggestions

From: Raphael Mack
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] My Gsoc suggestions
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:36:00 +0100

Am Montag, den 15.02.2016, 07:38 +0100 schrieb Paolo Redaelli:
> I've put a couple of proposals for our Google summer of code at
> http://wiki.liberty-eiffel.org/index.php/GSoC

Great, thanks.

> I think that we could try not to be under the umbrella of GNU. In fact
> our ethic values are those of GNU yet our bonds "organisative" bond
> with the rest of the GNU infrastructure are quite feeble. It is also
> notable that I'm not sure we would be able to get in touch in time
> with GNU's responsible for Gsoc

I am on the GNU GSoC mailing list, but there is not much going on so
far. We cannot push the GNU organisation application, so let's go for
our own and have the umbrella as backup - in case they wake up before
it's too late.

> I was going to make at least other two proposals:
>
> * to add support for convert

this is already included in ECMA extensions

> * parallelize the compiler
let's keep this one for next year.

> * add direct support for gccxml in the compiler
Not sure about the real use of this.

> then I stopped as it felt quite too much
Yes, we already have a good set of ideas. Now we need to manage the
application at google and find students. - I will try to push it at ETH,
any other contacts to universities around? Maybe we need to add another
idea, which needs less Eiffel knowledge, as I fear there are not many
students knowing Eiffel...

Cheers,
Rapha