Re: [libmicrohttpd] Can I get the entire MHD log without depends on C fu

From: silvioprog
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Can I get the entire MHD log without depends on C function like sprintf()?
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:09:49 -0300

Hello Christian, thanks for answer. :-)

You are right, it seems the best solution in this case. I'll refactore the function and share it here ASAP.

I still have a doubt, on Windows I can use the _vscprintf function to calculate the size of the buffer, but Linux doesn't have this function, and I can't use vsnprintf(NULL, 0, fmt, args) on Pascal because it frees the arguments, so is the 1024 a good buffer size when you can't calculate it automatically? If so, I'll start loading the buffer with size 1024 and re-set it to the _vsnprintf_s result length at the end.

Hi Silvio,

I understand what you are asking for, but I'm not terribly inclined to
do so. For starters, this would break ABI compatibility, which is not a
nice thing. Also, allocating the string buffer (like you do) on the
stack may not be OK for some applications -- stacks on some OSes can be
very tiny, and 1k may be too much.  OTOH, truncating log messages is
also bad. So the current solution offers the most flexibility.

Furthermore, I don't quite see what's so weird about your solution. The
code is pretty straightforward to read, and "it works". Breaking our ABI
so that Delphi can safe 4 lines of code because it's not C-compatible is
not a good trade-off in my mind.

Still, I think sharing this here is useful, as others may have the same
question in the future, and I actually think your solution is great.

Happy hacking!

Christian