libreboot-dev

Re: [Libreboot-dev] Docs: texinfo merging/cleanup

From: paukoen
Subject: Re: [Libreboot-dev] Docs: texinfo merging/cleanup
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 14:20:04 -0400

Hi Leah, apologies again for the delay.

Now that libreboot.texi is located in the docs directory (and not in
docs/src), references to images and text files in docs/resources need
to be changed from '../resources/' to simply 'resources/'. I am
attaching a patch that does this (though it's a pretty trivial change).

On Sun, 22 May 2016 03:55:35 +0100
Leah Woods <address@hidden> wrote:
> Regarding Info, is there a way to use something like HTML alt="" used
> on images? With this, we could use text instead where image display is
> not possible (this also benefits HTML, for users on browsers that
> disable images, or can't display images). This way, if it's not
> possible to display images in a TTY when using "info", then we could
> have textual descriptions instead. So a board pic for instance that
> shows you the flash chip could instead describe in words where it is,
> and what the pins are, and so on.

Yes, there is an alt text field in texinfo @image which is displayed in
Info output. It seems like this would work well. The syntax for @image
is:

       @image{FILENAME[, WIDTH[, HEIGHT[, ALTTEXT[, EXTENSION]]]]}

When I tried this out I noticed that it is helpful to add '@*' after
the image statement because otherwise in Info output there is no line
break between the alt text and normal text that follows. It might also
make sense to begin the alt text with e.g. 'Image: ' for clarity.

Best wishes,
Paul