libreboot

Re: [Libreboot] OpenBSD with libreboot on the X200

From: Oriol Demaria
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] OpenBSD with libreboot on the X200
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 20:48:49 +0100

Yes I have tried chainloading, but I can't chainload a BSD partition from libreboot Grub. What I do is chainload SeaBIOS and from there I have Grub in a partition, with that Grub I can indeed chainload the BSDs. But the problem lies in that BSD* (or Hurd I suspect) won't boot into framebuffer for now, while Linux does.

SeaBIOSVGA doesn't initialize properly the GM45 card of the X200. For that I need a BIOS backup of an X200 in order to extract this propietary blob, and include it as option rom. I have also downloaded BIOS updates, but I haven't been able to extract this blob. And I will be able to get rid of it when OpenBSD boots into framebuffer.

:-(

On , Will Hill wrote:
Some BSD make BIOS calls and may not work with Coreboot.

/*****  http://www.coreboot.org/FAQ  *******
We have tested some of the BSD OSes and have seen, that FreeBSD for example makes BIOS calls, which is not supported by coreboot. Possibly with help of SeaBIOS, it may be possible to boot FreeBSD like it is now, but the right
thing to do, is to remove FreeBSD's dependence on BIOS calls.
Please feel free to test booting any of the above using SeaBIOS and report to
the coreboot mailing list.
***** http://www.coreboot.org/FAQ ********/

Have you tried a Grub2 chainload, with Grub2 as the payload for libreboot?

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2/Chainloading

Best of luck.