[libredwg] Re: [cad-linux] Re: FSF priority project for dwg reading supp

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: [libredwg] Re: [cad-linux] Re: FSF priority project for dwg reading support
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:57:49 -0300

>> But surely the libredwg people would love to receive feedback or
>> encouragements, so don't hesitate to have a look there.

Sure! We definitely need people to test with their files, since every
file can potentially have a structure that we haven't tested before.

>> I'm actually wondering if those guys are not subscribed to this list...

Yes, I am =]

> I was wondering whether they are aware of the efforts in Blender-world
>
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.4/Py/Scripts/Import/DXF-3D
>
> where a lot of work has been done on importing dxf, assuming that anyone
> generating dwg can also generate dxf. And - in the worst case, where you
> get the dwg from someone, I can confirm that the dwg-dxf converter they
> use works perfectly fine in wine as a workaround. My guess is that the
> chances to get someone export a dxf instead of a dwg is just as high as
> having him export the specific 2000 format that the developers try to
> support. Still, why not have a group try to support dwg directly, while
> dxf import improves faster and more relieable.

I don't fully agree. For two reasons: one, converting from DWG to DWX
potentially causes data loss, since DWF is a subset of DWG. Two, most
non-hacker people don't even know what DXF is. Talking to engineers
and architects, I've been told that most AutoCAD files are shared in
DWG format. It's like asking someone to save their .doc in .rtf.

Two other things: we do support versions other than R2000. R13, R14
and R2004 are currently working. R2010 (and its variants) is still
obscure: ODA has reverse engineered it but hasn't released the specs
so far.

We are also working on write support - if everything goes as expected
we'll have a SoC student working on it this summer. We are also trying
to revive out python binding work.

Whereas we have a mostly working library, we haven't released
officially yet. We will make an alpha release soon if we manage to fix
some known bugs. Please subscribe to address@hidden for
announcements. I can announce to this list as well.

--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
PoliGNU - Grupo de Estudos de Software Livre da Poli/USP