Re: [libredwg] [news] Autodesk and Open Design Alliance Reach Agreement

From: Frank Warmerdam
Subject: Re: [libredwg] [news] Autodesk and Open Design Alliance Reach Agreement for Autodesk DWG Trademarks
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 11:10:57 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
Wow,
Libogr uses dwgdirect, now that is really worth working on.

here are some I found :
http://code.google.com/p/gdal-kml/
http://code.google.com/p/tf-net/

here is some sketchup plugin for dwg:
http://download.sketchup.com/OnlineDoc/gsu_mac/K-Input_and_Output/Import_and_Export/IO-DWGDXFExport.htm

I will start on gdal, I will build header files for all gdal/ogr usages of dwgdirect and rebuild the header files from that.

Folks,

I will note that I think the DWGdirect code in OGR has not kept up with
recent releases of DWGdirect though I might be wrong.  I personally
think the DWGdirect API is fairly clumsy and large and it would not
necessarily be a good idea to tie to it.

I also would suggest you think twice before exposing yourself to the
DWGdirect / ODA code and interfaces for fear of them making some sort of
IP claims against libredwg, though perhaps this is something you have
already considered.

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, address@hidden