Re: [libredwg] Appeal for relicensing of LibreDWG

From: Felipe Castro
Subject: Re: [libredwg] Appeal for relicensing of LibreDWG
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:02:09 -0200

Well, as the initial developer of LibDWG, from which LibreDWG was
forked some years ago, I just want to point here my reasons to pick
GPL v3.

Initially, I had the doubt: GPL or LGPL? Because there is no other
free alternative for such DWG library, reading the FSF docs about
LGPL, I agreed that GPL would be more adequate for it.

And then the question: GPL, which version? In fact, I didn't thought
much about any issues, I simply picked the latest one, v3, for me it
made sense simply to use the most up to date and secure one. For
example, do you keep your software in an older version, even knowing
that there could be security problems with it?

But the most important question now: is it possible to do such a
re-licensing? Is it possible to go backwards, from v3 to v2? I don't
think so, but it is surely possible to go from v2 to v3 (in the case
of LibreCAD, for example).