[libredwg] Libredwg Rebirth

From: gagan
Subject: [libredwg] Libredwg Rebirth
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 04:33:24 +0000

GNU LibreDWG has a license of GPLv3 and most opensource CAD software available were having licenses which were not compatible with GPLv3. LibreCAD was a quite old software and needed architectural changes and mostly a rewrite.

LibreCAD has a newer version which is in very beginning stage of the development.
It has its own libraries having a MIT/BSD license but to remove the licensing issues, the LibreCAD 3 itself is under GPLv3 or higher license.

We have experimental code[0] that uses GNU LibreDWG for reading DWG file formats.

And a snapshot[1] of example file read by LibreCAD provided with GNU LibreDWG. The support of read is limeted to lines yet since it is under testing.

[0] https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD_3/tree/DXFsupp
[1] https://codebasement.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/lcio/

I think we can actually say this is rebirth for LibreDWG and LibreCAD.

Now all we need is contributors that would again like to work on GNU LibreDWG which is a high priority requirement by Free Softwares.

Here are the licenses used overall,

License of LibreCAD will be GPLv3 or later
License of LibDXFrw is LGPLv2+
License of LibreDWG is GPLv3
Expected License of LCkernel is MIT/BSD
Expected License of LCviewer is MIT/BSD

Going through licenses, I don't see any conflict. Opinions/Suggestions welcomed for everything related to subject.

--
Thanks
Gaganjyot