libreplanet-br-sp

[lp-br-sp] address@hidden: [libreplanet-discuss] Including OpenCodecs in

From: Raniere Silva
Subject: [lp-br-sp] address@hidden: [libreplanet-discuss] Including OpenCodecs in Qumble, and dropping Infra Recorder]
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:47:04 -0200

Estou encaminhando o email pela descrição que é apresentada em relação
aos codecs que está relacionada com um debate que tivemos sob blobs.

Att,
Raniere

----- Forwarded message from Alexey Eromenko <address@hidden> -----

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 15:27:04 +0200
From: Alexey Eromenko <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Including OpenCodecs in Qumble, and dropping
        Infra Recorder

Hi all !

I'm considering including Open Codecs in my upcoming Qumble v1.1.0
collection of Free & Open-Source software for Windows.

Here is my description:
=================
Why use Free codecs?
Unlike MP3, Ogg Vorbis (and other free codecs) are not restricted by
patents. The problem with so called traditional codecs (MP3, MPEG4,
H.264, AAC, WMA, ...) is that they are patented and every vendor of
Operating Systems or smartphone manufacturers or individual publishers
must pay a patent royalty to use them.
These patent lawsuits might never affect you directly, but they create
a culture where
creative and skilled individuals cannot develop multimedia software
without fear of
being legally attacked. Using Free codecs is one way to support them
in their efforts
and to encourage a better culture.
Many major Linux systems, such as Red Hat and SUSE do not include and
can't play non-free codecs, and for this reason Qumble recommends you
to recode your entire media collection to free codecs, such as Ogg
Vorbis audio and WebM video before migrating to Linux.

This package ships Ogg Vorbis, Theora, FLAC & WebM video for Windows,
and let's you play them on Windows Media Player. Most are also
supported on Android O.S.
Qumble itself contains embedded videos in WebM format.

Can you give me a better one, before I finalize my description ?
Space is limited, so what I wrote is the max. I can fit.
On a separate note: I'm sad to declare, that I will not be shipping
InfraRecorder in Qumble v1.1.0. (CD/DVD burning software)

InfraRecorder was dropped from the Qumble BETA for following reason(s):
a. Disc has never finished burning on DVD-RW. (progress bar stuck at
90% _after_ this software ejected the disc)
b. Fixate (Close) DVD disc doesn’t work either on DVD+R.
c. Forums is broken; I’m unable to register, leaving users with no support.
d. DVD Video button is problematic -- it implies patent-encumbered MPEG encoder.

Do you know the author of InfraRecorder ? I was unable to contact him/her.
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"

----- End forwarded message -----