libreplanet-ca-on

[lp-ca-on] Starting phase #1

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: [lp-ca-on] Starting phase #1
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 22:15:04 -0400

Heya,

As promised, here I am with my possibly gigantic e-mail.

Blaise already did a great job on the wiki, describing many topics that
we should cover during the different phases of our world domination
program.  Now, I'd like to begin the discussion about our phase 1.

We already have a "regular team meeting" set up, even though we don't
really know the details.  BTW, it is really good to define the
place/time that we are going to meet in advance (say, 2 weeks before),
so that we can start spamming it to other friend groups (if they let us,
of course).  In BR, our meetings were called "librebar", as a contrast
to "open bar" (I don't know if you have "open bars" here; they're
parties where you don't need to pay for drinks [the drinks as free as in
price], so we wanted to make this little wordplay).  We advertised them
whenever we were going to meet; I wanted us to do the same here.

About the website, I barely know HTML :-).  Web is definitely now my
expertise, but I can help with anything (i.e., I can learn).  I believe
Blaise can take care of building our website, right?  Oh, BTW, here's
the LibrePlanet São Paulo website: <http://libreplanetbr.org/> (I've
made it in org-mode inside Emacs).

As I said in the meeting, I can serve the website in my own server.  It
runs Apache + PHP, and it is completely Free Software.  Of course, if I
could choose, I'd prefer not to run Wordpress :-), but I can do that
without problems.

I have no idea about the other basic materials (business cards or
postcards).  What I did in BR was:

- Ask a friend to come up with a logo for our group
  (<http://libreplanetbr.org/files/logo/lp-br-sp-logo_small.png>; South
  America is green, Brazil is yellow, and São Paulo state is blue, the
  colors of the Brazilian flag).  We should really create a logo for our
  group too, because it can be used in slides, postcards, business
  cards, etc.  Unfortunately, my skills as designer are close to -200.

- Create a postcard using the logo (I will try to find the PDF and send
  it here, it can actually be a good base for us).

- Print the postcard (I don't know where to do that in Toronto).

We did not have business cards, but as I mentioned, we wanted to create
t-shirts for the members.  This is also a very good idea, because
t-shirts are live postcards that you can use everywhere :-).

After we have that, we can start thinking about going to conferences and
spreading the word about our group :-).

[Hmm, I have the impression that I am forgetting something...  Anyway,
if I remember later, I will reply to this message.]

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 0x65FC5E36