[libreplanet-discuss] Google Now and data liberation

From: Rudolf
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Google Now and data liberation
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:53:04 -0400

Google presented a new service that will be available on new versions of Android called Google Now. What it does is display information that will be relevant to you at a particular moment such as reviews and a map of the restaurant you're going to for lunch, what the traffic is like, etc.

It is basically an intelligent agent to some extent. I dislike that it isn't free software however it made me think about data liberation.

What is the point of data liberation if we can't move our data to an equivalent service easily? I would love a free software equivalent to Google Now but I'm sure that won't happen anytime soon. So what's the point of data liberation for me? A spreadsheet or text document with everything Google has on me isn't particularly useful.

-Rudolf