Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Team proposal at LibrePlanet for a software pr

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Team proposal at LibrePlanet for a software project
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:03:55 +0200

Hi!

On 23 April 2013 06:32, George Standish <george.standish@ncf.ca> wrote:
> I'd say the software in question fails freedom 0.

Its GPLv3 so I'm not sure how you reach this conclusion.

> Their dual licensing model outlines what you can, and can't do, with this
> free software (I believe they correctly use the term "open source").
> http://www.runrev.com/products/Open-Source/FAQs

Like any other GPLv3 library, software that is built on top of this
library must also be GPLv3. If you want to distribute a combined work,
that includes GPLv3 parts and your own parts, under another license
(such as a proprietary license, or probably a non-copyleft free
software license) then you have to get another license for the GPLv3
parts - and this usually costs money.

This business model is very straightforward, easy to operate, and is
neutral to the software freedom movement (especially when the
developer only ever distributes software to you under a free software
license, either the GPL or a non-copyleft free software license) since
it both enables public free software development (under the GPL) and
also proprietary software development. The FSF doesn't raise money by
'selling out' the GPL for the copyrights it holds in this way, because
it is totally dedicated the software freedom movement, but I think its
ethically fine for a for-profit company to contribute to the movement
in a neutral way that is more lucrative.

> It is directly marketed for development of applications on non-free operating
> systems.

GCC is frequently used for development of applications on non-free
operating systems and has been since the 1980s.

> The software itself, is being developed using the non-free github service.

I believe you can use the github service using only free software. A
publishing service does not raise the same issues as
software-as-a-service, and RMS wrote about this in the 'Distinguishing
SaaS from Other Network Services' section of
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html

> How is any of this a win for software freedom?

It seems aimed at educating young people about software development,
and the kickstarter page says it is adopted in 25% of high schools in
Scotland. It will require them to release software they develop with
the system under the GPLv3. That sounds like a big win to me :-)

--
Cheers
Dave