[libreplanet-discuss] Protect your privacy from event data recorders

From: arthur_torrey
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Protect your privacy from event data recorders
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 02:31:55 +0000 (UTC)

Mostly of direct interest to US folks, but conceptually of interest to all - I
just got this e-mail from the American Motorcyclist Association - I am sure you
can get more info on their website.

Seemed like it is relevant to pass on from both a data privacy and a control of
the software in our vehicles standpoint....

Note that I don't have any more data than what is below, if you have any other
questions try Google or the AMA website.

ART

============ Quoted Message =============

Protect your privacy from event data recorders
Urge your representative to support federal legislation!

U.S. Reps. Mike Capuano (D-Mass.) and Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) plan to
introduce the Black Box Privacy Protection Act in the coming weeks. The bill
would protect motorcyclists’ rights by requiring manufacturers to prominently
disclose to consumers whether an event data recorder, commonly known as a black
box, is installed in their motorcycles.

The data collection capabilities of such a device and how such data may be used
is of concern to the American Motorcyclist Association. The bill would clarify
that the owner of the motorcycle owns the data and that the data may not be
accessed without the permission of the owner.

Furthermore, this bill would require that manufacturers provide consumers with
the option of controlling the recording function in automobiles or motorcycles
that are equipped with black boxes. In other words, the vehicle owners could
turn the black box on or off.

Currently, there is no federal law that clarifies the rights of vehicle owners
to control their recorded data.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has issued a Notice of
Proposed Rulemaking that will require black boxes in all cars when they are
manufactured. The agency has yet to issue a final rule. The NHTSA already has
disclosure requirements, but the Black Box Privacy Protection Act would make
the disclosure more prominent and give consumers even greater choice and
stronger privacy protections.

The AMA protects motorcyclists’ freedom to ride, and we support this bipartisan
bill. If you are worried that your insurer will use data from a black box to
increase your rates or have the ability to record data that can be used against
you in a civil or criminal proceeding, then you — the motorcyclist — should
urge your representative to support the Black Box Privacy Protection Act.

Just follow the "Take Action" option to send a pre-written email directly to
your representative.

Thousands of riders like you join the AMA to unite for a common goal – to
protect our freedom to ride. As an AMA member, you will stand with hundreds of
thousands of advocates nationwide fighting anti-motorcycling forces that
threaten our right to ride and race. That’s why the AMA is where you belong.
Visit www.AMAJoin.com or call (800) AMA-JOIN today. Please follow the AMA on
Twitter @AMA_Rights and like us on Facebook.

Please share with your friends on Facebook and Tweet to help spread the word.

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>