Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free movie database?

From: Mike Linksvayer
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free movie database?
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 18:13:59 -0600

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 11:23 AM, anonymiss <krosos@autistici.org> wrote:
> Mike Linksvayer:
>> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 4:42 PM, William Theaker
>> <william.theaker@american.edu> wrote:
>>> Is anyone aware of a database like MusicBrainz, but for films? TMDB used to
>>> be CC BY-SA, but it looks like they don't allow derivative works anymore.
>>
>> Not that I'm aware of, but eventually Wikidata ought surpass all others.
>> Where to help: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Movies
>>
>> Though you mean free "movie database", I'll mention that I'd like a "free
>> movie" database. I couldn't find even a list that aimed for
>> comprehensiveness so I started one at
>> https://d.wifo.org/t/list-of-premium-and-libre-video/70 and plan to add
>> everything I know about each to Wikidata eventually, but help wanted on that
>> project too. :)
>
> "https://archive.org/details/feature_films1 (but note many of these are
> public domain in the U.S. only)"
>
> I'm curious, is this made visible on archive.org, or would I have to
> look at copyrights, expiration dates and other lists/data to figure this
> out for individual countries?

You'd have to figure it out. It isn't easy to do. In many cases even to make
determination about U.S. you need to know whether copyright registration was
renewed. There's no reason to expect the uploader to archive.org to happen to
know, and archive.org has no facility for non-uploader curation, one of the
things that would make it much better; 2nd on my old but AFAIK still relevant
notes on that topic
http://gondwanaland.com/mlog/2013/10/24/5-fantasy-internet-archive-announcements/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_in_the_public_domain_in_the_United_States
 is a good effort, but only for the U.S.

http://publicdomainreview.org/collections/?medium=film&rights_label=underlying-work-pd-worldwide
 is the only attempt I know of to make a worldwide list.

I really think the path forward is to get all the relevant data in Wikidata and
other places (like archive.org) leverage that.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Fabián Rodríguez <magicfab@member.fsf.org>
wrote:
> Le 2015-11-22 19:42, William Theaker a écrit :
>> Is anyone aware of a database like MusicBrainz, but for films? TMDB
>> used to be CC BY-SA, but it looks like they don't allow derivative
>> works anymore.
>>
>> William Theaker
>
> Filmaster.com used to have this:
> https://web.archive.org/web/20120418025921/http://filmaster.com/about
>
> It let people contribute film information, which was then offered under
> CC-BY 3.0:
> https://web.archive.org/web/20120507204109/http://filmaster.com/license/
>
> It even had an open API!
> https://web.archive.org/web/20121025135946/http://filmaster.org/
>
> I stopped using it for some time and then one day wanted to find
> something, came across a changed site. I emailed to inquire about all
> the stuff that was there before, I was told they were changing
> licensing, retiring any open/libre licenses and selling their tech. This
> is it now:
> https://www.samba.tv/samba-tv-acquires-filmaster-boosting-its-capabilities-in-artificial-intelligence/

I forgot about Filmaster. Their web application was AGPL. Would be really
interesting to read a retrospective from people closely involved.

Mike